Subject : Day 2 of the “a Message a Day”
12th January 2016
To All Members,
Today is Day 2 of the “a Message a Day” campaign. Details for the process are restated below. Today you need to send your 2nd message to our PM. Please share this initiative with your staff, your suppliers and other partners & friends in the industry. We need to create a volume in our responses.
The response from all of you yesterday was overwhelming. Our objective is to highlight the issues of the inbound tourism industry at the highest level of government and get a fair hearing for our industry. This is not a reflection on the officials in the Ministry of Tourism whose work we value, but rather a cry for help for more attention from the PM and the other arms of the government who’s policies are restricting the tourism industry from recovery.
When Prime Minister Modi announced the e-Visa system for tourists, we were excited, grateful and optimistic. This is probably one of the best things that has happened to the industry. IATO is proud to have played an integral role in getting this policy implemented.
However, we still have a very long way to go. Today’s topic for your message is – “Tuesday Jan 12 2016 – Weak and incomplete implementation of the e-Tourist Visa system.
We have submitted multiple times requests to various levels of the government for the following amendment to the e-Visa system. We have yet to hear back from anyone –
1. To open window of e-Tourist Visa application 180 days in advance instead of 30 days
2. To allow Multiple Entries instead of single entry
3. Duration of stay under the E-Tourist Visa scheme to be increased from 30 days to 60 days
4. Creation of more facilities at our airports to allow for faster processing of e-Visa travellers.
5. Targeting and closing down fake visa processing web agencies that are harming our reputation
6. Bio-metric process for all kind of tourist visas including normal visa be done only on arrival at international airports in India.
7. To extend e-Tourist Visa facility including biometric at Sea Ports in order to boost cruise tourism
8. Relaxation in Conference Visa and Medical Visa
9. Time duration at the immigration counter for bio metric process and completing the formalities at the International Airports for e-Tourist Visa holders be reduced.
Every mail must end with the following “Sir, the inbound tourism industry of India needs an appointment with you. Tourism is your passion and we need help before it is too late!”
Please reach out to your IATO office bearers if you have any questions or additional thoughts. We need to be together as one voice to win this battle.